THE new Kyabram Municipal Library was officially opened by Sir Rohan Delacombe on July 20, 1967. The library was an extension to the north side of the Borough offices in Lake Road and erected by L J & K F Foley.
Miss Jean Cook was the first librarian. Jean had previously opened a Lending Library in the Rodney Arcade Kyabram in 1951 and later in 1961 moved her library near the Town Hall. Lois Tonkin took over the position of librarian when Miss Cook retired.
Many will remember Mrs Lyn Valiukas who was the librarian in Kyabram for nearly 28 years. Lyn started in 1972 at the Lake Road Library and retired in September 2000 at the Town Hall Library.
In 1982 the Kyabram Library and Historical Records were moved into the unused Town Hall as part of a major extension plan for the Town Council Offices.
The transformation of Kyabram’s Town Hall into a modern spacious library gave Kyabram a public facility to be proud of. This new location was officially opened by Premier John Cain on August 25, 1983.
Allison Stanley replaced Lyn Valiukas in 2000 until 2007 when the new librarian was Anna Bonomini. Anna was in Kyabram until September 2010 and was the librarian in charge when the big move was made back to Lake Road in early 2009.
Natalie Stephenson has been the librarian for the past seven years.
We have a wide range of free items for loan, including books, audio books, magazines, e-books & DVDs. The library has free internet access, book club groups and cultural events and activities for children.
The Kyabram Library is celebrating 50 years of free library services in Kyabram with a morning tea at the Kyabram library on Thursday, July 20 at 10.30am. If you would like to attend, please contact Natalie at the Kyabram Library.
■Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, Kyabram Historical Society voluntary librarian.