THE Churches family were involved with the fruit industry for many years in the Kyabram District.
This photograph was taken in the mid 1920s on their orchard Carthona on the east side of Murrumba Rd, Kyabram East — now the property of the Grinter family.
Mr Frederick Churches is on the left and his son Len Churches is on the right.
Frederick and Len Churches are sorting peaches on a portable fruit sorting bench into small boxes to be loaded by employees onto Mr A H Paynter’s trailer to be taken to the Kyabram Cannery. Alvan Paynter had established a carrying business in Kyabram in about 1911 and ran his business for well over 25 years.
Mr Frederick Churches, with other fruitgrowers and businessmen, was active in the establishment of the Kyabram Co-operative Fruit Preserving Company. He was organising secretary of the campaign that encouraged many residents of the district to take up shares in what was to become a gigantic processing organisation at Kyabram. He was a member of the board of directors of the Kyabram Cannery when it was first established.
Frederick’s son Len and grandson Barry continued on in the fruit industry.
Photo contributed by Barry Churches.
■Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, Kyabram Historical Society voluntary librarian.