AN ICONIC Kyabram home, built in 1914, is on the market and looking for expressions of interest.
The property, at 294-296 Allan St, was originally built by the Cooper family.
Nan Irwin of Irwin’s Orchard in Kyvalley, originally Nan Cooper, was born in the house just two weeks after completion.
The Cooper family has direct links with George Bishop, who, way back in 1900 played a huge role in shaping Kyabram .
Mr Bishop built the first structures of the Blue Brick Hotel and also ran Ultimate Hardware — now Ciavarella’s Betta home living.
In 1916, the building next door to the home, number 298 Allan St, was built as Lynwood Private Hospital.
At the time of the Private Hospital, three doctors used the for-sale house as a doctor’s clinic.
The room at the front of the house — now used to huddle around the fireplace — was the waiting room, while the other front room was the consulting room.
The door that now takes you through the ensuite, was once used for easy access across to the hospital for the doctors.
Later, in 1928 the block was turned into Westwood boarding house and stayed that way for 60 years.
In 1930, the Cummings family purchased the house. Mr Cummings was a tailor, he owned a successful shop next to the old Albion Hotel.
Four more owners worked their way through the house over the next 40 years.
Mr and Mrs Lilford bought the house off the Cummings family in 1941 and lived in the house for over a decade.
Mr Stan Lilford was a councillor of Kyabram while in the house.
The Lilford family sold it to Mr and Mrs Treloar in 1974. The Treloars occupied the house for three years before Mr and Mrs Whitelow purchased it.
In 1982, Dawn Graham, a teacher at Haslem St Primary School, bought the house; later selling it to the current owners, Helen and Stephen Bell.
It was around this time Helen and Stephen moved from Melbourne to Kyabram.
Helen started work at Stones Amcal Pharmacy, while Stephen was a lawyer at Abernethy Dawes Stewart.
The original house stood as the four front rooms only — with the kitchen separate at the back.
The Bells then built the middle of the house as a link between the front of the house and the kitchen, creating the house that is seen today.
Renovations and small changes have been made along the way, the kitchen and laundry were rebuilt first in 1988, and followed by the addition of the study and extra room.
The court and pool were the last major changes to the house, developed in 1992 and 1995 respectively.
Helen and Stephen have since made the move to Melbourne to be closer to their three children and two-year-old grandchild, which is why the home is selling.
Expressions of interest over $595,000 for the home are now being taken.