GIRGARRE Primary School No. 3971 is celebrating its centenary in November. Part of the celebrations will be the opening of two time capsules from 1993 (25 years) and 2001 (17 years).
This photograph of the original Girgarre Primary School (then known as Girgarre State School) was taken in 1929. The right side of the building is the school in which classes were first held on November 4, 1918 when the school’s name was Stanhope Estate State School. Being only 16ft by 14ft in size, the room soon became too small to accommodate the increasing enrolments due to the influx of new residents to the closer/soldier settlement area. In November 1920, a contract was let to erect the larger section of the building on the left.
On the evening of June 1, 1944, the school and its contents were completely destroyed by fire. Classes were then held in the Memorial Hall for two weeks and then the Methodist Church. The pupils moved into the new school building on September 11, 1945.
The Girgarre Primary School’s centenary celebrations will be held on November 9, 10 and 11.
Information and photo contributed by Jenny Wadelton.
■ Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, Kyabram Historical Society voluntary librarian.