THE weatherboard church on the left was the original Catholic Church erected in Henley in 1884 at the crossroads of Cooma and Lilford Rds (a few kilometres south east of Kyabram).
In 1888 it was transported in two sections by bullock teams onto the site at the rear of what is now the Masonic Temple. The church building was moved again in 1903 to further along Church St close to the new Catholic Presbytery. Extra space was made available by additions to the centre so it could be used as a school (1904) and as a church until the new church was erected in 1911. The weatherboard building was demolished in 1928 when a new brick school was constructed.
St Augustine’s new church on the right was solemnly blessed and opened on Sunday April 2, 1911 by the Most Rev Stephen Reville, OSA, second Bishop of Sandhurst 1901-1916. The foundation stone had been laid on July 3, 1910. Many changes have been made to both the interior and exterior of St Augustine’s Church since this time.
St Augustine’s Parish is celebrating 140 years of history this coming weekend. A bus pilgrimage will take place on Saturday visiting the church sites in the area followed by a dinner at the Kyabram Club in the evening. A book titled Kyabram Catholic Heritage: Ever Ancient, Ever New, compiled by a parish writing team, will be blessed and launched after 10am Mass on Sunday followed by morning tea and book sales and collections. $35 per copy.
■Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, Kyabram Historical Society voluntary librarian.