News

Building Kyabram’s church brick by brick

by
June 13, 2018

Mr William Condick’s brickworks in The Avenue, Kyabram - Circa 1910. The young lad standing at the end of the wagon is believed to be William’s son Ernest Samuel Condick.

WILLIAM Condick settled in Kyabram in the early 1890s. He was a brickmaker who established a brickworks in The Avenue, Kyabram.

Mr Condick did not appear to advertise in the Kyabram Free Press, however he was mentioned in the papers a number of times.

Mr Condick supplied 60,000 bricks for the new Kyabram Church of England Rectory in 1903. His tender was accepted at 36 shillings per 1000 bricks made and stacked on the grounds. He also made a donation of £5 towards the rectory.

Two accidents were reported on the property. In September 1905 Mr Joseph Tyndall, contractor of Undera, visited Mr Condick’s brick kiln after dark. Mr Tyndall was walking towards the light of the house when he fell down a 15 foot clay hole. He was seriously injured and moved to Nurse Goddard’s Private hospital. In November 1906 an employee was accidentally killed by a fall of earth in the clay pit.

In early 1906 there was a fire at Mr Condick’s Brickworks when straw and bags covering the bricks and also the wood used for firing were alight.

William Condick died 1922 in Kyabram aged 65 years and is buried in the Kyabram cemetery.

■Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, Kyabram Historical Society voluntary librarian, from the files of the Kyabram Free Press.

■Photo contributed by Ern Condick, William Condick’s great grandson.

By
More in Kyabram Free Press
Login Sign Up

Dummy text