CHANGES TO THE AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC SERVICE
* Number of government departments cut from 18 to 14.
* Department of Education merged with Department of Employment and Skills.
* New Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications. It will also include arts.
* Department of Agriculture and Water Resources merged with the Department of Environment.
* Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources. It now includes emissions reduction and small and family business functions.
* Department of Human Services will be established as a new executive agency called Services Australia within the Department of Social Services.
* The remaining 10 departments are unchanged
CHANGES TO DEPARTMENT POSITIONS
* Department secretaries Kerri Hartland (employment), Renee Leon (human services), Mike Mrdak (communications and arts), Daryl Quinlivan (agriculture) and Heather Smith (industry, innovation and science) have been axed.
* David Fredericks will head up industry, science, energy and resources.
* Andrew Metcalfe to return to the APS as secretary of agriculture, water and the environment.
* Changes take effect on February 1 next year.
(Source: Prime Minister Scott Morrison press conference, Canberra, December 5)