AAP Soccer

Hertha looking to move on from Klinsmann

By AAP Newswire

Hertha Berlin insist they remain ambitious despite Jurgen Klinsmann's shock resignation as coach after only nine uninspiring Bundesliga games.

Refuting talk of chaos at the club, Hertha president Werner Gegenbauer, general manager Michael Preetz and new financial backer Lars Windhorst presented their vision for the future at a news conference on Thursday, two days after Klinsmann quit suddenly with a Facebook announcement.

"I believe he regrets the decision," said Windhorst, who brought Klinsmann to the club after investing $A208 million into Hertha last year.

He increased his stake to 49 per cent for another $A163 million in November.

"I'm sorry that we couldn't fix things to keep hold of him, because even in the short time he was here, we noticed the effect on sponsors, advertising and income that his name had," said Windhorst.

"It could have led to big financial gains for Hertha.

"Unfortunately, because of the way he departed, continued work with him on the supervisory board is no longer possible.

"The way he quit is so unacceptable from the club's point of view, that targeted and constructive work between him and everyone else cannot go on."

Hertha had been banking on Klinsmann to lead its ambitious new project under Windhorst.

The former Germany and United States coach was hired on November 27 to replace Ante Covic.

He was charged with leading the team away from the relegation zone and toward European qualification.