Ky schoolkids of yesteryear
BACK row - Alan Edis, Alan Sullivan, Laurie Linford, Ray Williams, Fred Sutherland, Ken Cunningham, Len Cox, Bruce Johnston, Brian Freemantle.
Third row - Carol Haslem, Elaine Hargreaves, Ellen Popple, Ian Robinson, unknown, Geoff Beamish, Ken Morvell, Campbell Thomson, Ray Barrat, Russell Boyd, Gary Hall, Robert Carver, Lorice Kleeman, unknown, Kay Craddock.
Second row - Pauline Pinnock, Joy Smith, Sonia Saliacos, Betty Church, Elaine Green, Daphne Bright, Dorothy Knight, Dorothy Hubble, Irene Brown, Margaret Carver, Elizabeth Bond, Jennifer Nance, Helen Brasher, Judith Stagg, Nika Kotsopoulos, Glenys McLay.
Front row - unknown, Neil Trewin, unknown, Reg Thomson, Nicky Le Souef.
Photo contributed by Len Cox.
Names contributed by Lyn Gilmour.
■Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, Kyabram Historical Society voluntary librarian.
40 years ago
KYABRAM Bowling Club was first officially opened in 1913 with the late Mr D Dawes as its first president.
The old machine shed was originally used as a clubhouse with a ‘lean to’ and was used for serving afternoon teas.
The original honour boards, now in the new clubrooms, were decorated with a mass of cobwebs while on tournament days the “bar” was set up in this building.
Looking at the honour board, Gray Dawes, son of the first president, held the office of president for 13 years from 1929.
The proposed new clubhouse will see the addition of some 14 feet to the present 10 square building giving a total area of 15 ½ squares.
The front, which faces the north, will be all glass windows.
The new area will be carpeted and new toilets for members and associates will be incorporated in the alterations.
First stage of the alterations will commence within the next few weeks with air-conditioning of the current building.
Two air-conditioners will be installed, which will adequately air-condition the proposed new area.
A finance committee has been set up to look at the financing of the project while the entire committee is responsible for the building extensions.
20 Years Ago
TENDERS will be called in November for submissions from suitable contractors for the design and construction of a water treatment plant for Rushworth.
Following receipt of tenders and consideration of submissions, construction of the new facility is expected to start in February 1998 at an estimated cost of $1.56 million.
The town currently draws its water direct from Waranga Basin, but because it receives no treatment other than disinfection prior to use by consumers, water quality is often below the World Health Organisation guidelines that Goulburn Valley Water has adopted as its water supply standard for all town systems.
The authority proposes to build a modern water treatment plant that will be capable of fully treating up to three megalitres of water a day on a new site that it is purchasing adjacent to the off-take from Waranga Basin.
Planning approvals have been obtained from the shire of Campaspe and an application for a works approval has been lodged with the Environmental Protection Authority.
It is expected the plant will be completed by August 1998 and will provide the residents and businesses of Rushworth with a world-class water supply quality that will exceed the stringent World Health Organisation guidelines.