Victoria weathering storm: health minister
Victoria's elective surgery waiting list has shrunk slightly from a revised 88,920 to 87,275 after the June quarter.
This is despite some of the state's hospitals delaying or cancelling surgeries amid the latest COVID-19 wave.
Ambulance Victoria experienced the busiest quarter for code one call-outs in its history, up 16 per cent compared to the same quarter last year.
There was a 48 per cent rise in the number of planned surgeries that went ahead in June 2022 quarter compared to the June 2021 quarter.
That roughly equates to an extra 20,000 procedures, says Victorian Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas.
"We're in the midst of a record-breaking period of demand on our health system but this latest data shows we are weathering the storm and building a system that will be stronger than ever moving forward," she told reporters on Saturday.
"All our healthcare workers are doing an incredible job under challenging circumstances - and this government is ensuring they have all the support they need, to give Victorians the care they deserve faster."